Monday, February 22, 2010

Gluten Free Crepes :)

Whenever someone says to me, "OH MY GOD I could never eliminate wheat from my diet, what do you eat????" I laugh, and reply, "Anything I want! We've got recipes for just about anything you could possibly want without wheat that are just as good, and sometimes better!"
I can tell you that I was that person, when I first started going gluten free that couldn't figure out what I'd eat, but now after 2 or 3 years of being gluten free I have no cravings, misgivings or regrets about being gluten free. It's one of the best things I've ever done for myself, and I encourage everyone I talk to that has food coma, bad pms, and digestive issues, among other things, to consider it and to let me know if they want help trying to make the transition. You don't have to go it alone at the beginning like I did. You don't have to reinvent the wheel. The recipes are here, or at least on my computer, and I'm happy to send them along with ideas and I'm happy to offer support any way I can.

This morning we made gluten free crepes, both savory and sweet. I devoured the savory one before I remembered to take a pic, but here's one for the sweet, which was much prettier, anyway ;-)


And here's the recipe:
1 C rice flour
2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
Mix together and set aside

1 C milk (whatever kind you drink, dairy or non)
1/2 C water
2 tsp butter, melted
2 eggs
mix together in blender, add dry ingredients, blend til smooth

Cover and chill for 1 hour

Heat an 8-inch non stick crepe pan or skillet over medium heat.
Pour a scant 1/4 c of batter in the pan, swirl immediately so batters covers the entire pan with a thin film. Cook about 1 minute. Carefully lift the edge of the crepe with a rubber spatula to test for doneness. The crepe is ready to turn when it can be shaken loose from the pan and the underside is lightly browned. Turn crepe over and cook 30 seconds or until center is set.

This recipe was adapted from, "Cooking Light Way To Cook: The Complete Visual Guide to Everyday Cooking" 2009 Oxmoor House Inc, cookinglight.com
The website has crepe making tips and tricks if you've never made them.

For the filling we did 2. The first was savory:
Saute a yellow onion, add ground turkey breakfast sausage-cook til nearly done, scramble eggs, add some milk of your choice-set aside, add sliced/chopped mushrooms to your onions and sausage-cook til the shrooms are soft, add the egg goo-cook til done. Add the whole steaming mixture to the top of warm crepe-Mmmmmm

The second was sweet.
Melt some dark chocolate and grind or have purchase some ground almonds or other nut of your choice.
Fresh ground almond bits mixed with cream cheese, dolloped on a warm crepe, add fresh raspberries, and drizzle with freshly melted chocolate. Try not to drool on yourself.

No comments: